Foundation North doesn’t collect a large amount of personal information about individuals but, where we do, we treat it with care and respect.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT AND RETAIN
We may collect your personal information – including your email address, name, phone number and mailing address – in the following circumstances:
- when you complete forms on our website or elsewhere (including registration forms, application forms and other forms);
- when you create, modify, or use any accounts or registered user facilities available through our website;
- in the course of receiving questions, comments or other communications from you; or
- as you navigate through our website, certain information may be passively collected (that is, gathered without your active participation) using various technologies and means, such as Internet Protocol addresses, cookies, Internet tags, and navigational data collection. Information collected may include server addresses, top-level domain names, dates and times of visits to the website, pages accessed and documents downloaded, previous websites visited and the type of browser used.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The personal information we collect will be used to provide services you have authorised or requested. We may also use the personal information we collect to:
- assess, fulfil and monitor applications for funding;
- carry out internal research and development, including planning for future funding;
- prepare communications in respect of funding outcomes and case studies (where possible, we will anonymise personal information for this purpose);
- verify your identity and assist you in case you forget your password or login details;
- respond to any questions or correspondence from you;
- manage and improve our website and any related services;
- provide you with information about a service that you are using (including critical updates and announcements);
- reduce the need for you to repeatedly enter the same information;
- customise our website to suit your particular preferences and interests;
- where you create a message using our website (for the purpose of sending that message to us, or to any other recipient specified by you), send that message;
- analyse website usage, trends and statistics;
- with your permission, supply you with further information concerning products and services which may be of interest to you; or
- carry out any other use that is authorised by you or is notified to you at the time of collection.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information to:
- any third party you have authorised us to share your personal information with, or we have notified you that we may share your personal information with and you have not objected;
- government or law enforcement agencies, where we believe that it is reasonably necessary to assist with the maintenance of the law;
- appropriate third parties where necessary to protect your safety or the safety of others;
- suppliers of outsourced functions such as our auditors, lawyers or data storage providers;
- our stakeholders, such as community groups, charitable trusts or our trustees, for the purpose of assessing, fulfilling or monitoring funding applications or otherwise managing our business; or
- any other agency where required or permitted by law.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
Our website may contain hyperlinks to third party websites. We are not responsible for the content of such websites, or the manner in which those websites collect, store, use, and disclose any personal information you provide. When visiting a third party website from hyperlinks displayed on our website, we encourage you to review the privacy statements of those websites so that you can understand how the personal information you provide will be will collected, stored, used and disclosed.
STORAGE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information is held by Foundation North, 50 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby, Auckland 1011 and Te Kete Putea, Level 2, 189 George Street, Dunedin, 9016.
The information collected on, or through, our website is stored on secure servers. Other personal information we collect is stored for us by our trusted cloud based data storage providers.
We will not retain your personal information for any longer than we have a lawful purpose to use it.
Whether your personal information is stored by us locally or with our data storage providers, we take all reasonable steps to ensure that it’s protected against loss, misuse and unauthorised access, use, modification, or disclosure.
We believe that privacy is everyone’s responsibility. Our employees have been trained to understand the Privacy Act and we all adhere to a number of policies and practices designed to ensure that your personal information is safe and secure. For example, we:
- expect our employees to access and use personal information only for legitimate work purposes;
- have clear policies in place to manage the transmission of personal information and the use of portable devices, such as smartphones and tablets;
- ensure that all hardware we use is password protected and enabled with an auto lock function; and
- have a clear procedure for responding to and managing any data breaches that affect the personal information we hold.
RIGHT TO ACCESS AND CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have the right to access or correct any personal information Foundation North holds about you. You can do so by calling us on 0800 272 878, emailing us at email@example.com or writing to us at The Privacy Officer, Foundation North, PO Box 68-048,Newton, Auckland 1145.
Whichever way you make your request, we must take steps to ensure that you’re authorised to do so. Please understand that we must do this in order to protect your privacy.
The Privacy Act permits us to withhold personal information from you in certain circumstances, such as where the information is commercially sensitive or legally privileged. We might also refuse to provide you with information that is also about other people if we think this would be unwarranted. If we withhold information from you, we’ll tell you why.
We’re required by the Privacy Act to make a decision on your request – and convey this to you – within 20 working days. Where we cannot make a decision within 20 working days, we’ll let you know and explain why.
QUESTIONS OR COMPLAINTS
If you have a concern about the way we’ve handled your personal information, let us know. You can speak with our Privacy Officer using the contact details set out above and we’ll try to resolve your concerns.
If we can’t resolve your complaint for you, then you have the right to make a complaint to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner by:
- completing an online complaint form at www.privacy.org.nz; or
- writing to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, PO Box 10-094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143.
Your use of our website is subject to our Terms and Conditions. We may also make reference to the use or disclosure of personal information in other forms or during your interactions with us.